Feminine hygiene

How can women impact less on their health and the environment by dealing differently with their menstrual flow?

I think it is important to talk about this, because few women (and men!!) seem to be aware about it. But using regular discardable pads and tampons is not using the Earth's resources in a very economical nor healthy way. Indeed, they have several disadvantages:
- big amount of resources used to create waste
- the making of them requires the use of toxic chemicals to make them look white and "clean"
- especially for tampons, they are actually not "clean" at all, and they are a potential risk for leaving microfibers of cotton which are a factor of vagina infections and irritations.

But there are alternatives!!
=> Instead of disposable pads, there are reusable pads, which are washed like dippers in the old days.
=> Instead of tampons, there are menstrual cups. These I find the most practical to use, especially if you do sports or want to spend careless days. Of course, as well as for the use of tampons, you have to be comfortable with touching your own vagina. But I think it's something every woman should feel comfortable doing. Because knowing your own body is knowing yourself.

Anyway you will find loads of information on the Internet about them. I don't know of any really great English websites about them, but there is always the Wikipedia and the Wikihow for instructions on how to use one.

For my testimony I´ve been using the 1st broadly manufactured silicone one, Mooncup for several years, and I'm very happy about it!

I have recently heard about the possibility for women to actually hold their flow, and letting it out when necessary, in the same way they feel the need to pee. So it would be possible to not even need anything!! This would be quite a thing!!
I'm still not sure about it, but I'll keep you posted when I test it for my next periods.


Pour les francophones, il y a un super site de partage sur les coups menstruelles que je vous conseille vivement : www.easycup.fr
ll test it for my next periods! :-)

Commentaires